Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:56:57 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <jim@geekhouse.net>
To:        Shill <shill@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Paper version of the handbook

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 at 18:12:44 -0800, Shill wrote:
> I have the paper version of the handbook sold by Walnut Creek:
> http://www.cdrom.com/titles/freebsd/bsdhandbkx.phtml
>
> However, my version was published in February 1999 and is now
> somewhat dated. It is 489 pages long compared to the latest (online)
> version's 787.

It wasn't.  It was published in April of last year.  I'm not sure why it
it still has Feb 1999 in the front.

The reason it's 489 pages long is because quite a bit was cut out of the
printed version.

> I want a paper copy of the latest version. I went to kinko's and
> they quoted me a price of $60 to print it! I would have thought it
> was much cheaper to print 787 pages (394 sheets recto verso). I was
> thinking around 7 cents a sheet so my estimate was in the $30 price
> range.
>
> Has anyone ever paid to print the handbook? Can I get a better price
> than $60? Where?

Get yourself a printer and some paper :-)

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@geekhouse.net>    work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org
http://soupnazi.org/              BSDi Open Source Div | http://bsdi.com