Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:32:01 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DAT or removable device?

> The NCR controllers appear to be quite hard to find.  When you folks
> recommend a particular one please give a source if possible.

     How about NECX:

	http://www.necx.com

[ I don't like their web site, but their prices can be respectable.
Their shipping methods are pretty weird, though.  The parts you order
may be scattered in different warehouses across the country, and so a
single order can result in multiple packages, delivered at different
times.  Also, I don't think I received a complete invoice for what I
ordered, although everything did arrive reasonably quickly.  Not a good
sign, normally, but I'd order from them again. ]

     NECX sells the Data Technology DTC3130B (NCR-815-based w/BIOS --
see http://www.datatechnology.com) for around US$105.  That's what I
bought, and it's working like a champ under FreeBSD and Win95.

     Insight (http://www.insight.com) also sells the DTC3130B, but they
were out of stock when I called.  [ Insight is probably the better of
these two vendors. ]

     Note that the DTC3130B appears to have passive termination.
However, this isn't a problem for me, as I have to disable the
controller's termination anyway (I've got both internal and external
devices).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.