Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 00:32:55 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@server.i-clue.de>
To:        freebsd <freebsd@whoowl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting Up new disk the hardway

Why did you try it the hard way?

/stand/sysinstall, configure, fdisk, disklabel, and the drive is set up.
Just did it with a 40G IDE box. Steps 2 to 6 seem OK, though ;)

-Christoph Sold

freebsd schrieb:

> Ok, so I have been using freebsd on my servers for my company and at my
> home for around 6 months.  I have been able to figure out most things from
> the man pages, handbook, and google.
>
> What I am trying to do seems simple enough but I am missing something.  I
> want to move my entire drives contents to another drive so that I can take
> the old drive out for a different machine.  Seems simple enough, so I came
> up with this plan.
>
> 1) setup the new drive
> 2) drop to single mode
> 3) mount each partition on new drive to /mnt
> 4) dump coresponding partion into restore via a pipe making sure it's in
> /mnt
> 5) Wash, rinse, repeat for other partions
> 6) halt, and remove old drive, pray it boots.
>
> So far, after about an hour playing with it, I can't even get past step
> one.  I guess I am trying to make it hard, but I am trying to learn, so I
> didn't want to use sysinstall, and have been trying the steps listed in the
> handbook.  Problem is I think the handbook may have some typos in it, as
> there seems to be some difference in order of steps listed there...
>
> >From http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/disks-adding.html:
>
> For slices
>     # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 bs=1k count=1
>     # fdisk -BI da1 #Initialize your new disk
>     # disklabel -B -w -r da1s1 auto #Label it.
>     # disklabel -e da1s1
>     # mkdir -p /1
>     # newfs /dev/da1s1e # Repeat this for every partition you created.
>
> For dedicated
>     # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 bs=1k count=1
>     # disklabel -Brw da1 auto
>     # disklabel -e da1               # create the `e' partition
>     # newfs -d0 /dev/rda1e
>     # mkdir -p /1
>
> So here are my questions:
> 1) Why the copy 1024 null to /dev/rda1?  The example is working on da1...

Zero any previously existing boot block (educated guess, anyone correct
me?)

> 2) Why does mkdir -p /1 happen before newfs on slices but the other way on
> dedicated?
> 3) what am I suppose to change (in vi) when I type disklabel -e da1?
> 4) Lastly, why when I try this does it give me the error "insufficent
> space"?

Don't know. As said above, /stand/sysinstall worked for me, today, with
4.2-R as well as 4.2-S systems.

HTH
-Christoph Sold