Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 18:50:35 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        bsletten@vivid.autometric.com
Cc:        jshelby@vivid.autometric.com, ggreene@vivid.autometric.com, josh@datatel.com, freebsd-chat@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Netscape: French Hacker Cracks Netscape Code]

> From: Vince Curley <vincec@microsoft.com>
> To: bsletten@vivid
> Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 14:55:26 +0200
> Subject: FW: FW: Netscape:  French Hacker Cracks Netscape Code
>
> I'm a little hesitant to pass this info on, but I figure the bad guys
> have already gotten it!!!

It's not at all worrisome - we all KNEW that 48 bit RSA was crackable
if you threw enough hardware at the problem, and that's all that that
our French friend proved.

I'm not all that worried that somebody will throw 4 supercomputers at
an arbitary netscape transaction of mine (and this would need to be
done for EVERY transaction, not just one) when they can just root
through the garbage at the local mall or slip a minimum-wage clerk $50
for my credit card number a lot more cheaply and effectively! :-)

All they really proved was that it's time for the U.S. state
department to relax the restrictions on 64 and 128 bit encryption.

					Jordan