Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:43:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Lawrence Sica wrote:

> > Where does Christianity justify any of this?  A condemnation of a
> > behavior does not amount to a justification for persecution.  And the
> > fact that slavery existed in the Bible also does not amount to a
> > justification of it.
> >
> Jesus by his actions lived by not persecuting "Let he who is without
> sin cas the first stone".  Remember that line?

Yes, I do.  I also remember the context in which he said it.  It was
not some loosey-goosey "tolerance" of sin.  It was meant to point out
their hypocrisy and their own sin.

> Also the Bible was used
> as justification by twisting interpretations and making up meanings.

What does this prove, except that man by nature is sinful?

> The story of Noah and the flood was used to justify slavery at one
> point.

That would be a pretty interesting feat!  If true, who in the world
would buy it?

> >> Every religion has it's contradictions, Islam isnt
> >> special here.  And What is the exact wording the koran uses?  Are you
> >> sure you are interpreting it correctly?  That's the great thing about
> >> any religious writing, its "divine inspiration"  but then man is left
> >> to decipher it's meaning....
> >
> > If Islam is going to accept the authority of the Christian gospels, it
> > does not then have the right to contradict its most fundamental claims.
> > Claiming that every religion has its contradictions does not make it
> > so.
> > Islam defeats itself on *it's own* terms.
> >

> This does not answer the question, what exactly does the Koran say?

Muslims do not think that God would allow his prophet to be killed.  As
such, they think that God took Jesus directly to heaven.  Surah 4:157-158
states: "That they said (in boast), 'We killed Christ Jesus the son of
Mary, the Messenger of Allah' -- but they killed him not, nor crucified
him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein
are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to
follow, for of a surety they killed him not -- nay, Allah raised him up
unto Himself."

> > I can just see it now, everybody is going to jump in with their list
> > of 101 bible contradictions.  I've been there and done that, folks.
> > You know, maybe we ought to treat the Bible just like any other piece
> > of literature, and if two passages *can* be interpreted in such a way
> > as to make them not blatantly contradictory, maybe we ought to accept
> > that interpretation, eh?
> >
> You brought this up, if you bring it up expect others to point out
> things.

And my point stands.  If you are going to claim that two passages are
contradictory, you need to show that there is no possible way that they
can be reconciled with regard to contextual issues.  You only have a
true contradiction if what is asserted in both cases is at the same
time and in the same relationship.