Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:05:11 -0400
From:      Yarema <yds@dppl.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Andrey A.Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Apache port change from nobody:nogroup to www:www planned

Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:22:32 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>>
>> Hold on a second.  What files does Apache _write_ as user nobody?
>
> Any file written from cgi-bin script f.e.

I tend to agree with Sheldon Hearn here.

As Doug Barton put it:
> I agree that sa's that need their cgi processes to write files
> should take appropriate steps to make sure that their apache user/group
> permissions are safe, but I'm afraid that the step you're taking is going
> to mask the problem and give people a false sense of security.

Apache is not abusing nobody:nogroup -- users who don't configure their CGI
environment are.   The Right Thing is to run CGIs via suexec.  suexec works
better if apache does run as nobody:nogroup.  eperl is another port that
takes advantage of apache running as specifically nobody:nogroup to change
the process ownership to the scrip owner's uid.

--
Yarema