Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:23:48 -0700
From:      Aaron Smith <aaron@veritas.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

After reading this, Terry, I can only conclude that you have a propensity
for pretending knowlede of things you incompletely understand. Your
standard technique appears to be:

	- make broad pronouncments
	- bring up graph theory

Writing a journaling filesystem does not require any of the changes you
mention. You don't know what you're talking about. This might be forgivable
if your tone was speculative, but you act like you are laying down fact,
when you could not be more wrong about what is required for a journalling
filesystem.

VERITAS VxFS (a journalled filesystem) runs on many, many different UNIX
variants and none have had to modify the VFS layer or its interface.

I would recommend easing up on your need to sound authoritative on topics
you have not mastered.

--
Aaron Smith					            aaron@veritas.com
unless explicitly stated, i do not speak for my employer. support free speech.

[discussion of SGI xfs, some mentions of JFS and NTFS]