Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:21:47 +0200
From:      Julien Laffaye <jlaffaye@freebsd.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

On 8/24/2012 3:57 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 23 August 2012 18:19, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems to me that renaming the pkg binary in /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap would make sense. From a user standpoint, it is confusing that running the command gets different results the second time it is run vs. the first time. I can imagine a user saying "I ran pkg, but it didn't do what they said it would.  Now I run it again, and it does do what it is supposed to." Also, it would enable setting up a pkg-bootstrap man page separate from the pkg man page, without confusion about which one you're looking at.
>>
>> So, opinions? There may still be time to fix it for 9.1 if we can decide quickly.
> no opinion on the name, but imho there should be *something* called
> "pkg" on a fresh system. Users will install a new system, follow some
> random how-to, and not realize they missed a step. If the default
> package errors with exit code 1 and says "run pkgbootstrap first" that
> is okay too.

Ideally, pkgng bootstrap process will be part of the bsdinstall steps
(using the pkg package tarball on the installation media).
The bootstrap tool is in base (instead of only on the install media)
essentially for installations without the installer (like creating
jails). So its true that in these case you have to think to run the
bootstrap command.