Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:55:48 -0700
From:      Nathan KInkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nthomas@cise.ufl.edu
Subject:   Re: building ports *outside* /usr

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 00:20:01 -0400
"N. Thomas" <nthomas@cise.ufl.edu> wrote:

> I have regular-user access to a FreeBSD box and I would like to build some
> software which is available through the ports tree. I downloaded the latest
> ports sub-dir from the ftp site and try to build it in my home directory and
> it doesn't work.
>
> I can't even build the simplest package, so I'm suspecting it is a result of
> doing this outside of /usr/ports.
>
> What is the best way to do this, i.e. is there documentation available for
> compiling packages outside /usr/ports?

from: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
	"Note: You must be the root user to install ports."

there may be other reasons of which i'm not aware, but it seems that at least nominally, as a regular
user, you will not have proper permission to read/write various directories where the application expects...such
as directories where config files expect to be stored or where other shared objects may be located.