Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 15:53:51 -0600
From:      Irwan Hadi <irwanhadi@phxby.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Irwan Hadi <irwanhadi@phxby.com>, Jeff Jirsa <jeff@boris.st.hmc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server won't boot after recompile the kernel with ipfw support

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 03:37:20PM -0600, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    Oh, I forgot to mention.  A very common mistake when upgrading a system
>    is to install a new kernel without installing a new world, or to install
>    a new world without installing a new kernel.
>
>    This can create a situation where the machine is unable to add any firewall
>    rules, resulting in the network being permanently disabled.  This occurs
>    when the kernel structures used by the 'ipfw' binary are incompatible
>    with the structures the running kernel expects.
>
>    It is very important when upgrading a machine to install both a new kernel
>    AND A new world before rebooting.  Alternatively if you compile a custom
>    kernel and set the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT option in addition to
>    the IPFIREWALL option, then at least the kernel will boot into a default
>    state that allows the network to work, even if the ipfw binary is broken.

Thanks for the tips. By the way I got one question, why the firewall
features is not bundled in the default FreeBSD installation ?
It seems the firewall features in FreeBSD looks like an "easter egg", since it
is not defined in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC, but only on the
FreeBSD homepage ?

Thanks