Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:51:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sergey Gershtein <sg@ur.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: Strange lock-ups during backup over nfs after adding 1024M RAM

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Sergey Gershtein wrote:

> On Friday, January 25, 2002 you wrote:
> DW> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Sergey Gershtein wrote:
>
> >> It's a rather heavily loaded web server (average of 25 requests/sec,
> >> 100kb/sec), so I guess it's a lot of network. Could you please point
> >> me to the right direction where to read about mbuf monitoring?  I
> >> found some info in the Handbook (6.10 Tuning Kernel Limits), but there
> >> are not much unfortunately.
>
> DW> 'netstat -m', watch these lines:
> DW> 131/864/10240 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
> DW> 128/172/2560 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
>
> DW> You want to keep the second number about 80% of the third number. If it
> DW> gets too close bump the kernel tunables kern.mbufs and kern.nmbclusters
> DW> (or set options MBUFS and NMBCLUSTERS in the kernel config).
>
> Today the lock-up happened again during backup over nfs with no sign
> in any log files or on console. It was running 4.4-STABLE kernel
> cvsuped yesterday with MAXUSERS 128 and NMBCLUSTERS=8192... Any ideas
> on where to look?

Get a serial console. Something may be logged but since it doesn't sync to
disk you can't see it afterwards.

> The strange thins is that we have another server with exactly the same
> hardware and amout of RAM which works fine.  The only difference is
> that its kernel was compiled with MAXUSERS 1024 for some reason.  Do I
> really need to bump MAXUSERS so high to handle more than 1Gb of RAM?

So *high*? You need to *reduce* it!  128 should work; if that is blowing
up on wierd VM failures, start up a crontask that runs 'sysctl vm.zone'
and 'netstat -m' every so often and logs the output. That will say what is
gobbling up all the space.

NFS is also suspicious .. this is after you updated to today's -STABLE?

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org