Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:58:41 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New scsi disk config help please

Greetings,

	First off let me say that if this subject is better treated on -scsi or
-hardware feel free to follow up there. I'm on both lists, but I'm
trying to break my cross-posting habit. :)  Also, what I'm doing here
might be more complicated than it needs to be, but please bear with me
since this is my first real scsi disk, and I'm fairly excited. :)

	I am getting an IBM DCAS 34330 UW for Christmas (based on
recommendations here, thanks).  I currently run DOS, OS/2 and FreeBSD
-Stable on a 1.6 gig WD Caviar IDE.  I will be adding the 34330 to my
adaptec 2940 UW which up to this point has been badly underutilized
running my zip disk. My current configuration is roughly, 180 M for DOS,
700 M for FreeBSD, and the rest for OS/2. What I would like to do is
split the 34330 2 ways, with 1/4 of it dedicated to OS/2, and 3/4 of it
for FreeBSD.  The IDE drive will then be partly DOS, partly OS/2, and
I'd like to leave one partition on it for FreeBSD, either for /usr/obj
or /usr/src, and maybe a little more FreeBSD space. To complicate
matters slightly, at some point in the upcoming year I want to build
myself a new system, and the scsi card and scsi disks will be going into
it, and the current IDE HD will be dedicated to freebsd with the
intention of making my current machine a server.

	Now, my quetions are as follows.

1.  Does my plan sound reasonable?  I've been following things on the
lists here for a while now, and I think I've planned for the best
possible use of the two disks, but this isn't really my area.

2.  Which filesystem should go on the "slow" IDE disk, /usr/obj or
/usr/src?  And will the make world benefits of having those two
filesystems on different disks be worth it when one of them is IDE?  If
it makes any difference, the IDE drive is alone on its bus, with a
CD-ROM on the other bus.

3.  Is it at all desirable/necessary to split slices on a hard disk on
physical platter boundaries?  And if so, how do I determine where the
divisions should be?  The DCAS spec says it has 4 platters, which is one
reason for me wanting to split the disk 1/4 and 3/4 above. It so happens
that this also fits my needs. Disk labelling in FreeBSD is still pretty
greek to me, so if you can help with this I need details. :)

4.  Rather than blow away the last few months of work in the freebsd
installation I have, I was thinking of installing freebsd all new on the
scsi disk, then moving parts from the old installation to the new one. I
have OS/2's Boot Manager on the IDE disk, and that's going to stay as
is. I'm thinking the easiest way to get FreeBSD on the scsi disk is to
install the scsi disk, slice it under the old freebsd install, remove
the ide disk, and install FreeBSD on the scsi disk as if it's the only
disk in the system.  Then I can re-install the IDE disk and whack Boot
Manager into shape. Does this sound reasonable?

5.  If I'm understanding things correctly, FreeBSD's UFS is using a 4k
inode size. Has anyone done any studies on whether this is optimal or
not?  I know from my OS/2 experience that the formula for optimal inode
size is related to average file size, adjusted for anomalies in the
distribution curve. For instance, every 512 byte directory entry wastes
3.5k of its inode on a 4k inode system. OS/2 has used 512 byte "inodes"
in its HPFS system for years, and I'm wondering if the cost to UFS of
managing the higher number of inodes would be worth the disk space
savings. The wastage with 4k inodes averages out (in an ideal world) to
2k per file. This is much less significant on a 3+ gig slice, but for
example I couldn't put the ports collection on my 96 M zip disk till I
newfs'ed it with a smaller inode size. Any comments/suggestions welcome.
:)

6.  When I install FreeBSD on the scsi disk, any suggestions on sizes of
the partitions?  Obviously I won't have to worry too much about space,
but I'd prefer not to waste any if possible. I want to install the
linuxulator, and just about everything else. :)

	Anything else I should be thinking of?  I would really like to get this
right the first time, so I am very open to suggestions. Any help will be
greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays,

Doug