Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:52:28 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0RC2 FTP install sig 11 and other problems

Greetings!

The following is intended to be a report of my experience more
than a request for help, although I will be happy to
investigate this further if it will help debug anything.

I created a pair of install floppies from the 20000214-CURRENT
snapshot and tried to do an install on my old 486DX2-50 Everex
Stepnote.  It has previously run either 3.2R or 3.3R (I forget)
with no problems except that my Ethernet card wasn't recognized.

First problem: during kernel config, under miscellaneous I found
ata0 and ata1 both listed as "Unknown device".  They were pretty
clearly IDE drivers, and ata0 did in fact work just fine.  I
suggest changing these from "Unknown" to "IDE Controller" or
something like that.

==========

The next problem I encountered was that while trying to configure
the PCCARD stuff, it popped up with this dialog:

      Please select IRQs that can be used by PC-cards

    Please specify an IRQs that CANNOT be used by PC-card.
    For example, if you have a sound card that can't be probed by
    this installation floppy and it uses IRQ 10, you have to
    choose "Option 1" or "Option 2" at this menu.

    Default     IRQ 10,11
    Option 1    IRQ 5, 11   (ex. soundcard on IRQ 10)
    Option 2    IRQ 11      (ex. something on IRQ 5 and 10)

                OK          Cancel

Now, this confuses me.  I couldn't tell whether I was supposed to
be specifying what IRQs were not available for the PC Card
controller to use, or which IRQs it should try to use.  3.4R-PAO
is clearly asking for IRQs that CANNOT be used, so I suggest
changing the title of this dialog to "Please select IRQs that
cannot be used by PC cards".  Also 3.4R-PAO offers more choices,
which seems like a good idea.

I couldn't ever find a configuration that would recognize either
my Ethernet card (Eiger Labs EPX-10BT) or modem (Practical
Peripherals PC336T2EZ).  I just started a 3.4R-PAO install a
few minutes ago and it had no trouble recognizing the modem
(I didn't expect it to recognize the Ethernet card), so
from my point of view, PCCARD support is worse in 4.0RC than
in 3.4-PAO.

========

Now, for the Signal 11:

Since neither my PCMCIA Modem nor Ethernet card were detected,
I decided to try ppp via an external modem.  As I was entering
the phone number of the ISP, I realized I had entered the
wrong login ID/password.  I decided to cancel and try again.
When I selected cancel, it caught a signal 11 and rebooted. I
didn't manage to record any other information about the sig 11,
even though I was able to repeat it (I didn't think to see if
alt-F2 would show anything useful until just now).

========

Once I got the information entered, the ISP didn't answer.  I
decided to try a different ISP, so I attempted to manually
configure the new info with "set phone 846xxxx" etc.  Gave the
dial command and it used the old phone number, instead of
the new one I had just entered.

========

Finally, once I got it to dial correctly, I was greeted with
the error "Warning: CHAP 0x80 not available without DES" and
then it aborted the install. I repeated from a fresh boot
(and entered the ISP info correctly the first time), and
got the same error.  It also turned up tonight when I started
a 3.4R-PAO install.

=========

I finally gave up on trying to install the 4.0 snapshot.
Tonight I started a 3.4R-PAO (Jan 30 build) install and it
all went smoothly except (1) it didn't, as usual, recognize
the Eigernet card, and (2) I got the "CHAP 0x80 not available"
error.  The modem was recognized, unlike the 4.0RC install.
I managed to get logged in to an ISP manually so it is now
happily doing the install (it has a few hours to go).
Tomorrow I will see if I can get it to recognize the
Ethernet card (in the past I could get it to be recognized,
but then got a driver not initialized error).

==========

Unless 3.4R-PAO magically works with the Ethernet card,
I will probably wipe the thing some time this week to see
if I can do a Corel Linux install on it (if I can find a
PCMCIA or parallel port CD-ROM that will work), so I don't
mind doing more experimenting with 4.0RC if that will
help anyone.

By the way, the Linux fmvj18x_cs driver works with the
Ethernet card.  I've been unable to get the FBSD Fujitsu
driver to work with it, nor does ed0.  I tried looking at
the source, but I have a lot to learn before I have a clue
why the Linux driver works with this particular card and
the FBSD driver doesn't.

The first OS that works with the Ethernet card and also
doesn't have too many other quirks gets to live on it
for a while.  Debian Linux had too many other quirks.
FBSD 3.2 (3.3?) had no quirks except the bad Ethercard
driver, so I'm rooting for it.  Maybe I'll blow a few
bucks on a card that will work with it, but it would be
more satisfying to fix the driver.  Anyone know where
I can get a dirt cheap 10base2 + 10baseT PCCARD that
works with FreeBSD?

-- Bob