Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:35:48 -0400
From:      Dan Plassche <dplassche@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump an Unmounted Journaled UFS Filesystem

Thanks Alex and Warren.  Omitting the "-L" flag makes sense to avoid
any possible conflicts.  Also, I am not normally taking a snapshot
because there's no need to worry about data changing with the
filesystem unmounted.

> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=41503

The concern is that "jstarcher" in that thread mentions errors upon a
restore after dumping a journaled filesystem by omitting the "-L"
option.  I think the usage was different insofar as the dump occurred
on a mounted system where the data could have changed.  I'm curious if
I would run into issues in restoring from a dump taken on an unmounted
journaled filesystem.

Perhaps a more accurate question would be whether dump understands the
journaling implementation within the filesystem? Or maybe all data is
written to a disk before a journaled filesystem is unmounted and dump
does not need to understand the setup?

This is frankly a corner case for me, since all my other machines have
soft updates and journaling turned off.  I'm trying to understand
journaling more to work with the new filesystem defaults in the
future.

Thanks again,

Dan