Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:42:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>, Jason Heibult <heib2246@blue.univnorthco.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minimum system requirements for FreeBSD

Your quoted text had alternate long and short lines.

On Monday, 22 January 2001 at  1:05:17 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
>>
>> I've been running a mail/web/dns server as well as a NAT gateway on
>> a 386dx40 with 8meg RAM for several years.  One caveat is that you
>> need at least 12 meg RAM to run sysinstall on more recent versions
>> of FreeBSD, but I could do a buildworld on a faster machine, then
>> installworld on the '386 just fine.  It's recently been retired
>> from those duties and now serves as just a fax server, but it's
>> always done the job.  DNS, mail for a handful of users, and a low
>> traffic web site isn't all that demanding.  After all, this machine
>> was state-of-the art 10 years ago. :-)
>
> Even better, these older 386's and 486/33's don't need a CPU fan,
> so one less thing to get cockeyed.  And I'd trust a system that
> has lasted 10 years and was still going strong more than a
> system with only 6 months on it.

That might apply to the silicon, but it definitely doesn't apply to
moving parts such as fans (there are still fans in most power
supplies) and disk drives.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.