Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2018 08:25:05 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 23:43:16 +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
> As per my (incomplete) knowledge, the following are usually needed:
>
> Chipset   | <Packages>                 | <Modules>
>
> AMD GPU   | drm-kmod:xf86-video-amdgpu |
> Radeon    | drm-kmod:xf86-video-ati    | radeonkms.ko**
> NVidia    | drm-kmod:nvidia-driver     | nvidia.ko:nvidia-modeset.ko
> Intel GPU | drm-kmod:xf86-video-intel  |
>
> (** : Radeon appears to need radeon.ko and radeonkms.ko under FreeBSD
> 11.x, and only radeonkms.ko in 12.0)

And Intel typically needs i915kms.ko, supplied by the OS.

Regarding nVidia, there are, if I remember correctly,
three ports that can be used as the X driver: First,
the proprietary driver with the best results (nvidia-driver,
can be accompanied by nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig
if needed), the open source driver with limited support
(nouveau), and the "nv" driver that comes with X (if I
remember correctly) that doesn't have any 3D capabilities.
If you are not using any of them, VESA (X's built-in
fallback "driver") will probably still work.

No idea about AMD / ATi, I'm no longer using one since
the support went from "everything works" to "basic graphics
with 1 fps and we don't care"...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany