Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:37:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Test request, SMC 1211TX EtherEZ PCI card

Hi guys, got a quick favor to ask. SMC has this (relatively) new
NIC called the EtherEZ 1211-TX. This is a PCI 10/100 adapter. From
what I can tell, I think this board uses a RealTek 8139 or compatible
chipset, which means that in theory it should work with the rl driver.
However I don't have one to test, so I can't be positive. I think
more RealTek boards will still report the RealTek PCI vendor and
device ID, however this information is stored in an EEPROM and
sometimes vendors will change just to force you to use their
particular driver.

Anyway, if somebody has one of these cards and a FreeBSD machine
and some spare time, I'd appreciate it if you could give it a
try with the rl driver. If you've been tracking FreeBSD-current,
then you already have the driver in the system, otherwise you can
get it fron http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/RealTek.

It may also be possible to tell right away what chip is on the
board just by looking at it, however I don't have a picture of one
of these cards so I can't tell myself. The RealTek chips are small,
rectangular in shape (as opposed to square) and say RTL8139 or
RTL8139A on them. The RealTek logo looks like a crudely drawn crab
with its claws raised.

If the driver works, please let me know so I can add this card to
the supported adapters list.

-Bill