Date:      Thu, 12 May 2005 22:36:10 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   wi0 is always status: no carrier

--nextPart1416617.2A47fRyJAQ

I've finally coerced FreeBSD 5.4 to see my PCMCIA WLAN card (with many than=
ks=20
to Warner), but it always reports "status: no carrier".  I'm attempting to=
=20
connect to an open WAP that broadcasts it's SSID, so my understanding is th=
at=20
it should be as simple as "ifconfig wi0 ad.dr.es.s netmask 255.255.255.0" o=
r=20
"dhclient wi0", but neither of those work.  If I do manually specify an=20
address, then I can ping that address, but I'm not sure if that actually=20
means anything.

I've also been running tcpdump on the DHCP server for that wireless network=
=2E =20
I can see plenty of traffic from the other machines, but absolutely nothing=
=20
from the laptop.

My /boot/loader.conf looks like:

    hint.acpi.0.disabled=3D"1"
    hint.apic.0.disabled=3D"1"
    hw.cbb.start_memory=3D0xd800

Is there something else I'm blatantly missing?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser