Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:39:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.aipo.gov.au>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dchapman@houabg.com>
Cc:        Robert Schien <robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 -> current upgrade/bootstrap problem

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> The procedure for going form 3.4 to -current is
>
> make your -current kernel
> reboot
> do make world
> make -current kernel again

I have just successfully done this.

I had problems trying to compile with gcc 2.7.2 so I installed the gcc
2.95 package and did all my compiles using it.

Here is what I did...

1.  install gcc 2.95 port.
2.  cd /usr/bin and rename cc and gcc to *.old and symlink cc and gcc to
    /usr/local/bin/gcc295 (Remember to delete the .old entries once you're
    finished)

I did the cc/gcc rename as the buildworld kept complaining that it
couldn't find gcc295. :(

Then I built the 4.0-CURRENT config so I could build a kernel.

2.  update to current sources (cd /usr ; cvs co src)
3.  cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
4.  "make ; make install"

Created and built the new kernel.

5.  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
6.  create new kernel config file
7.  config -r KERNEL
8.  cd /usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL
9.  "make depend ; make ; make install"

Then booted into the kernel to do the rest of the install.

10. reboot into single user mode (boot -s)
11. mount / /usr /var /tmp (readwrite)
12. cd /usr/src
13. "make buildworld"  (I think at this point I had problems using the
    "-j14" parm)
14. "make installworld"
15. cd /etc
16. run "mergemaster" and update your configuration
17. reboot into 4.0-CURRENT

Then I rebuilt the kernel with a complete 4.0-CURRENT toolset.

18. cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
19. "config -r KERNEL"
20. cd /usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL
21. "make depend ; make ; make install"
22. reboot

This was done on a Dell PowerEdge 2300 with Dual PIII 450s, 512Mb RAM  and
54Gb disk (3 x 9Gb in a Vinum stripe).

Carl.