Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:04:44 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        Freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: moving /home to new drive

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 11:03:04AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have just installed an additional drive to my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6
> > machine. I'd like to use this drive exclusively for /home.
> >
> > Currently /home is a link to /usr/home. Can I just mount (haven't done it
> > yet) the new drive with the mount point /home then delete the symlink (?)
> > and move the files from /usr/home to /home? Or do I need to delete the
> > symlink first and only then try to mount the new drive as /home?
>
> You should remove the symlink first, otherwise the mount will go
> over it and then you won't be able to rm it and later it will
> still exist if the mount is not made and you will see again the
> old stuff.

Sorry, I just got off a 12 hour flight.
The part that says you should remove the symlink first is correct.
The explanation applies to directories that become mount points
but not quite the same to symlinks.

Then, after you remove the symlink, you have to create a mountpoint
by doing a mkdir /home

////jerry

> > Can it break something? Is the procudure safe? Thank you in advance!

It is safe.  It won't break anything.   But, as mentioned, don't
forget to move your files and directories from /usr/home to the
new /home after you get it there.

////jerry