Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:01:10 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for change to /etc/rc script

* Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU> [000921 12:00] wrote:
> Damien Tougas wrote:
> > The problem is that the following
> > line in /etc/rc:
> >
> >         chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
> >
> > occurs before NIS services are started (which I believe is in network_pass2).
> > This results in a very long pause at boot while the system attempts to
> > do the chown before it has access to any user/group information.
>
> We have a similar problem with the combination of NIS and ipfw. The details
> (and a patch) are in conf/18521:
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=18521 - nobody has touched it
> since its submission in May.

I've never used NIS, but isn't this either a bug/missing feature
in NIS or a misconfiguaration on your part?

Shouldn't NIS have a "first found" option so that root:wheel doesn't
need NIS resolution?

If it does, why aren't you guys using it? :)

I'd rather see NIS fixed than the rc system hacked to death because
of NIS brain death.