Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fdescfs updates--coming to a devfs near you!

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
>
> > 	I recently ran into revelant problem with /dev/stdout, while
> > working on some software under linux that expected /dev/stdout as an
> > argument instead of using stdout.
> >
> > 	Using the device file breaks, if the process is suid to a non-root
> > user.  This is because it cannot open /dev/stdout, which is owned by your
> > UID and not the EUID of the process to which the device was passed.  My
> > solution was to add the "-" hack and use the existing open descriptor.
>
> Um, open on fdesc devices doesn't check either uid.  It just checks
> the access mode.
>
> Perhaps the software expected /dev/stdout to for read-write like a
> tty would be.  Then opening /dev/stdout would fail for normal shell
> output redirection which only opens for writing.

	No, it wasn't a RW/W issue.  I dug a little deeper.  It looks like
the BSD implmentation of /dev/stdout is smarter than the linux version.
Linux's is a symlink into /proc and the device ownership is determined by
the UID of the invoking user.  I guess I wouldn't have have had a problem
under BSD.  no suprise here.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]