Date:      01 Oct 2003 12:17:53 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        freebsd@celestial.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Fax Server?

USB modems can also be used for fax SENDERS .. but may not
be totally kosher in the receive mode.

I have tried a Netcomm Roadster II 56 USB modem, for faxing outbound
it works a-ok, havent tried inbound yet, but for other apps like mpd
in answer mode it plays silly buggers..
and essentially loops the mpd daemon trying to get non existent statii.

mjt

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 11:15, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003, rtjohan@syspres.com wrote:
> >Has anyone used freebsd to setup a fax server?
> >
> >Looking at Hylafax (http://www.hylafax.org)
> ><http://www.hylafax.org/HylaFAQ/Q001.html%29>. Any others worth looking at?
>
> We've used HylaFAX since it was called flexfax (and hosted the HylaFAX
> mailing list for a couple of years after SGI asked Sam Leffler to get it
> off SGI).  It's worked well for me on SCO OpenServer, and Linux, but I
> haven't gotten around to trying it on FreeBSD.
>
> >Which fax modem cards are supported by freebsd?
>
> We've always used MultiTech external modems.  They're reliable, cheap, work
> well with fax, and you don't have to reboot the system when a modem gets
> wedged.  IMHO internal modems are to be avoided at all costs.
>
> Bill
> --
> INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
> UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
> FAX:            (206) 232-9186  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
>
> ``Capitalism works primarily because most of the ways that a company can be
> scum end up being extremely bad for business when there's working
> competition.'' -rra

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
---------------------------------
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555
F: +61 3 8710 2599
D: +61 3 9238 4275
M: +61 417 319 256
E: murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com
or visit us on the web
http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.