Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 15:17:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!sunyit.edu!perlsta, ponds!lakes.dignus.com!rivers
Cc:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: More info on slow "rm" times with 2.2.1+.

> This is a sure sign of a failing disk.
> if the disk makes a lot of whirring noises that fade in and out (listen to
> it with the cover off) or a grinding kind of noise then youi are in
> trouble, use the disk checking program to tet the the disk itr's called
> "bad_144" i think...

 Ummm... I didn't mean to give that impression; the sounds definately
sound like "real" I/O (i.e. twiddling, not whirring/grinding).  And
the case is hardly ever closed :-)

It's a relatively new disk and hasn't given me any troubles in the past...

 But - I'll keep an eye out for something like that happening...

	- Thanks! -
	- Dave R. -