Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:47:09 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Chat" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

Marc writes:

> So, you are saying we should sit quietly back
> and accept the instabilities?

I'm saying that you don't really have much choice, unless you start paying
people to work on the OS.  For most people, earning money to pay the rent
comes first, and volunteer work comes second.  Additionally, in volunteer
work, people tend to concentrate on what they enjoy, and not always on what
must be done.

> Man, will that ever get FreeBSD into the corporate IT
> departments ...

I've pointed out this problem before.  It exists for all open-source
software.  That's one reason why corporations still pay money for
proprietary software, even when they can get potentially better software for
free.  Knowing the the software was free won't help if it crashes at 3 AM
and there's nobody to call for support.