Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 22:19:55 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Nate Puri <natepuri@office.ompages.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto -nat problems...

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 03:26:24PM -0700, Nate Puri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My ppp NAT is now working...  I can ping the internet from clients, but only
> from NIX clients.  My win98 clients do not ping the internet...

If some clients work, and others do not, it seems most likely that the
non-functioning clients are the misconfigured ones, not the
NAT-gateway.

> I have in my /etc/rc.conf file set,
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
> ppp_enable="YES"
> ppp_mode="auto"
> ppp_nat="YES"
> ppp_profile="papchap"

Looks OK, whcih makes sense, since you say it works.

> I'm a little more used to hand configuring pppd with ipfw and ipnat commands.
>
> But in FBSD this seems to be the most popular may, i.e., user-ppp and
> the rc.conf settings.  What have a done wrong here?  Why won't my win98
> clients ping the internet?  I've configured in the Win98 network/control_panel
> dialog, the gateway setting as my LAN server.  Any ideas?  Thanks...

Do a tcpdump(8) on the internal interface when the Win boxen are
trying to do their pings. See what you expect? Or not?

> By the way, this box is also a SAMBA box for the Win98 clients.  Also
> when I try to telnet from the Win98 boxes to the LAN server, the connection
> is refused.  Please help...

What do your firewall rules look like? Does telnet work coming in from
an internal UNIX-type box?