Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:52:36 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Rafa=C5=82?= Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
Cc:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enumerable I2C busses

Rafa=C5=82 Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com> writes:
> Well, hard-coded addresses and conflicting assignments between vendors
> do not technically prevent from scanning the bus; actually, our
> current iicbus code can do bus scaning when compiled with a diag
> define.

I haven't looked at how that is implemented, but - I2C version 3
describes device enumeration and identification, but AFAIK very few
devices actually support it.

This is really stupid, BTW.  Philips could easily have required the
first few bytes of the device address space to contain a vendor / device
ID, along the lines of PCI and USB, from the start.  I wonder: did it
not occur to them, or did they intentionally leave it out to save a few
microcents per chip?

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no