Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 1996 12:54:00 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        ALHACK@am.pnu.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Caldera Linux

Terry Lambert wrote in message ID
<199607040316.UAA12045@phaeton.artisoft.com>:
> > No, I don't think it should go in ... full elf support makes quite a
> > few changes in the system, and the latest -current linux emulator even
> > more (and that is needed if you want to run quake). So it's a no-go,
> > not this close to a release.

> Well, then I'll call it a mistake to have not considered it before
> it was this close to release... 8-(.

It was considered when it was first committed, and I agreed at the
time (and still do) that the improved Linux emulator belongs in
-current, and not in -stable. The original commit for the improved
linux emulator was:

peter       96/03/02 11:38:21

  Modified:    sys/conf  files
               sys/i386/conf  LINT Makefile.i386 files.i386 options.i386
               sys/i386/i386  exception.s locore.s machdep.c trap.c
               sys/i386/ibcs2  ibcs2_sysvec.c ibcs2_util.h
               sys/i386/include  md_var.h pcb.h
               sys/i386/linux  imgact_linux.c linux.h linux_dummy.c
                        linux_file.c  linux_ioctl.c linux_ipc.c
                        linux_misc.c linux_signal.c  linux_socket.c
                        linux_stats.c linux_sysent.c
               sys/kern  imgact_aout.c init_sysent.c kern_exec.c kern_sig.c
                         makesyscalls.sh
               sys/sys   exec.h signal.h signalvar.h sysent.h
  Added:       sys/i386/linux  linux_genassym.c linux_locore.s
                        linux_proto.h linux_syscall.h  linux_sysvec.c
                        linux_util.c linux_util.h
               sys/kern  init_sysvec.c
  Removed:     sys/i386/linux  linux_generic.c sysproto.h

[massive log message deleted].

See the number of non-linux related files touched? Since then there
have been countless bug fixes for various aspects of the `emulator',
and with the different VM (etc) structures in -current and -stable, I
wouldn't have recommended anyone try back-porting this.

Gary