Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 96 2:29:16 EDT
From:      Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   iijppp error

I think I may have seen this discussed before, but I have followed the
procedures in the handbook and I have been unable to locate the thread in the
archives... so:

I am trying to set up user ppp on 2.1.5R.  My modem is on COM2 (and
/dev/cuaa1 is appropriately listed in ppp.conf).  The problem is that when I
type 'ppp' to start the thing, it prints out is usual bit about not finding
ppp.secret and the like, then the last two messages are:

	can't find ifindex.
	open_tun: no such file or directory

This happen whether or not I have a ppp.conf file in /etc/ppp and whether or
not I have tun0 configured as a network device in /etc/sysconfig.  I had ppp
up and working at least to the point where I got the "PPP on hostname>"
prompt under 2.1.0R, but I blew that slice away and installed 2.1.5R fresh
since I hadn't tweaked with 2.1.0R much.

I'm sure this is something silly.  Can someone here give me a few pointers?

Thanks.

Ernie Pistor