Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:33:26 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Martins Struka" <martinss2000@inbox.lv>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Root problem & Passwords

accounts and edit exsisting accounts.
> 1.    What can I do if the superuser root password is missing and the
second added user password is not known also?
> 2.    Is it possible to reinstal FreeBSD not loosing current
configuration and data?
> What can I do? I am desperate!! Please help me!

Martins,

To reset the root password:

1) Restart the computer (Ctrl-Alt-Del or Power On).
2) When you see the message counting down from 10 seconds, press Space
Bar.
3) when you see the "ok" prompt, type "boot -s" - this provides root
acces in single user mode.
4) At the shell prompt type:
  # fsck -p                     (File System Check)
  # mount -u /                  (mount / partition read/write)
  # mount -a -t ufs             (mount all ufs partitions - /usr ...)
  # passwd                      (supply root passwd twice)
  # shutdown -r now             (reboot to multi-user mode again)
5) Once you are able to log in as root again, you can use the passwd
command to reset the other user's password.

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
    http://www.perimeter.co.za