Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 10:00:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Veggy Vinny writes:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > 	If make world fails, can i just do a make all install to continue
> > where it left off or is there more make world does?
>
> That depends where it fails.  make world does basically 4 things:
>
> - it removes all your old objects
> - it builds new directories where necessary
> - it makes all the new software
> - it installs it.
>
> Clearly if it gets to the point where it's making the software, you
> don't want to repeat the whole thing.  But 'make install' doesn't
> check whether the software has been made, so unless you get to the
> install stage, you won't get everything installed.
>
> I always perform a 'make -k world' so that a problem making, say,
> games/fish won't cause the whole thing to fail.  Of course, this means
> that I have to carefully check the make log file after the make.

	Hmmm, the problem with this machine is it's running 2.1R and
using a Adaptec 2940 controller so it will always abort somewhere in the
make all install part of the make world, so I just make all install from
/usr/src but isn't that supported to work and just continue the process?

Cheers,
-Vince- richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU - vince@COSC.GOV - vince@cygnus.sy.yale.edu