Date:      Tue, 17 May 2005 09:32:34 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use snapshots

fbsd_user wrote:
> "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com> writes:
>

>>I have no idea what you mean by those statements.
>>What floppies are you talking about?
>

> The ones in the floppies directory.
>

>>How do I download the snapshot version with all the files and
>>sub-directors?
>

> There are many ways you could do that, but there's no reason to.
> Just
> do a network-based install, booting from floppies.
>

>>This snapshot URL must be a normal thing available to the general
>>FreeBSD user.
>

> "must be"?  If you want an ISO, stick with releases.
>

>>So there must be some pre-canned way to download and use it.
>>How do I find this out?
>

> Prepare the Boot Media.
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pr
> e.html

> You are off the subject.
> My question has nothing to do with how to install from floppies, or
> using cvsup to load the source to my PC for recompile of the system.
> Drop that line of thought.
>
> Question has always been how do people use
> ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/pub/FreeBSD/i386/
>
> to build bootable cdrom to install from?
>
> I have been all through the handbook and it does not cover this
> subject.
>
> Can someone who has used
>  ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/pub/FreeBSD/i386/
> in the past please respond with how this is done.

I could be wrong here... since I've never installed a snapshot.
(although I am interested in how) but....

 From reading this thread it would appear that you would create the boot
floppies... boot from them...  When asked for install media... you would
select "FTP" and point it at the snapshot of interest.  I don't think
they make ISOs of them.  And I dont think they intend for you to
download it and make a CD out of it.  (just a guess)

I think that is what everyone is trying to tell you.

I'm not sure the snapshots are good for 'upgrading' per se.  I think you
would install a snapshot... and then keep up to date via cvsup.

Correct? (anyone?)