Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:05:17 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: matcd on an SB16

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Jul 15:
> > Is the matcd driver known to work on FreeBSD 3.2 ?  If not, does anyone
> > have any estimate of the amount of effort that'd be required to fix it?
>
> It "works" for some definitions of "work".  Firstly, there are three
> different CDROM interfaces that can be hung off an SB16; one is the
> Matsushita drive, there's also a Mutsumi interface (I don't think we
> support it) and a Sony interface (also, I believe, unsupported).

actually, only certain drives are supported on the interfaces... this
is from -current's LINT:
# for the Sony CDU31/33A CDROM
device          scd0    at isa? port 0x230
# matcd: Matsushita/Panasonic CD-ROM
# for the SoundBlaster 16 multicd - up to 4 devices
controller      matcd0  at isa? port 0x230
# mcd: Mitsumi CD-ROM
device          mcd0    at isa? port 0x300 irq 10

so, we support all three different interfaces, but the support is
quite weak...   I'm not even sure if these even work anymore, do
people have some hardware they run tests on these interfaces?

> Presuming the drive is a real Matsushita, and it's one of the few
> listed in the matcd manpage, you should be able to get it to work by
> following the manpage carefully.

as for getting the code to work, that completely depends upon the code,
and if you have the specs for the drive... it'd probably be cheaper to
just by a new ide cdrom drive... and a heck of a lot faster...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson