Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:30:36 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Jeff Lush <jeff@nerdpower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd question

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 10:21:23PM -0700, Jeff Lush wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to make natd work in an environment where IPs are distributed through
> DHCP. I noticed the -dynamic switch and was wondering if this will help me
> with DHCP? I understand this will not pick an IP from DHCP, but I would like
> to know if this will change the IP when the DHCP lease is renewed.

natd(8) does not actually change any IPs. The -dynamic flag just makes
it continue to work correctly if the IP of the interface it is working
on chages.

I think the natd(8) manpage is atypically lucid on this point,

     -dynamic    If the -n or -interface option is used, natd will monitor the
                 routing socket for alterations to the interface passed.  If
                 the interfaces IP number is changed, natd will dynamically
                 alter its concept of the alias address.