Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:19:30 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        pat.groce@state.sd.us
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix is a problem: free bsd doesn't help

pat.groce@state.sd.us wrote:

> I couldn't get anything but 3.0 over the net. I mean i download boot.flp and
> fdimage.exe, made my install disk, and 3.0 was what i got. DON'T BLAME ME, I
> DID EVERYTHING THE WWW.FREEBD.ORG TOLD ME TO FOR AN INSTALL. Why didn't the
> web site or setup program warn me not to install 3.0?
>
> The web page at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html made it all
> sound so simple. I didn't know there were hidden issues!

<ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/3.0-RELEASE/>:

  ABOUT.TXT           8 Kb
  ERRATA.TXT          1 Kb
  HARDWARE.TXT        19 Kb
  INSTALL.TXT         23 Kb
  ISO-IMAGES.TXT      348 bytes
  LAYOUT.TXT          4 Kb
  README.TXT          4 Kb
  RELNOTES.TXT        32 Kb
  TROUBLE.TXT         15 Kb
  UPGRADE.TXT         7 Kb

Most of these files are intented to explain about the intricacies of a
RELEASE. For instance, from RELNOTES.TXT:
                                 RELEASE NOTES
                          FreeBSD Release 3.0-RELEASE

This is our first release of 3.0-CURRENT and is aimed primarily at
early adopters and developers.  Some parts of the documentation may
not be updated yet and should be reported if and when seen.
Naturally, any installation failures or crashes should also be
reported ASAP by sending mail to freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org or using the
send-pr command (those preferring a WEB based interface can also see
http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html).

It continues on, but the point is made here in the head. From
<ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/>;

2.2.7-RELEASE/    Thu Sep  3 11:54:00 1998 Directory
  3.0-RELEASE/    Thu Oct 29 11:50:00 1998 Directory

Note that ftp.freebsd.org and ftp.cdrom.com are the same machine.

> If the system isn't configured correctly its FREEBSD'S fault! Why can't a
> fresh install even stand on two legs? So what if its out of disk space? Not
> my fault. It should have configured the partitions correctly from the first
> place. What a joke! And you're blaming ME for the system having problems?

This is flawed thinking. No machine will run if it doesn't have a
sufficent amount of hard drive space. The only "auto-configuration" that
occurs under FreeBSD is if you select the "auto" option under the
FreeBSD fdisk-alike. The same applies for disklabel. Configuring the
kernel is a big part of using FreeBSD. If you are incapable of *basic*
configuration, I have to wonder how the machine(s?) behaved for four
years.

To blame you is vaild, for none of us could have directed you to make
the mistakes you did. Please reconsider your decision and attempt to
find what you did wrong and try again. "Converting" to NT will only make
it worse.

> ADMIT IT! FREEBSD CAN NEVER HOLD A CANDLE TO NT. ONLY A MOUNTAIN TROLL WHO
> SPENDS HIS DAYS SLOBBERING OVER A KEYBOARD HACKING SYSTEM CODE COULD EVER
> GET IT WORKING.

This will only get you flamed and fill your mailbox.

> This os is not for the business world!

I'm not going to debate this point. It's already been settled.
<http://www.unix-vs-nt.com>;
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>