Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:06:37 +0100
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   DESTDIR bugs

Ports experts,

the problem described, analyzed and patched in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/28155
and sitting there for more than two years deserves a solution, IMHO.

We can install a complete base system under /foo/bar with

	make installworld DESTDIR=/foo/bar

and the ports infrastructure is supposed to support this as well, but
currently does not due to bugs in bsd.port.mk and ports makefiles. The
author of the PR has done a good job AFAICT and supplied a patch for the
problem at hand. I understand that it needs a lot of cleanup in various
ports Makefiles. But I think it is worth the effort. I'd even volunteer
to extend portlint to check for correct DESTDIR behavior, in order to
avoid the named problem for future ports.

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/