Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 96 11:03:54 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Pentium gcc patch, -D__FreeBSD__=2 -Dbsd4_4

>> The big mistake most porters make is they TRY to distinguish us from
>> NetBSD and BSD/OS.  Most "freebsd" distinctions are really 4.4 and later
>> distinctions and should use the BSD define.
>
>> That's why you should use the sys/param.h method, becuase it's what
>> everyone decided on as the STANDARD way to do this.  If you gratuitously
>
> The big mistake most porters make is they TRY to distinguish BSD from
> foonix.  Most "freebsd" distinctions are really for POSIX and other things
> that every modern OS has and shouldn't use the BSD define.

Most of the time.  As I mentioned in my last posting, it's frequently
used to check for other things (in older software, you might find it
used to guess whether the system has symlink(2), for example).  The
real problem is that you don't really want to go and change all the
sources to get it to run, so to a certain extent you're at the mercy
of the authors.

> That's why you shouldn't use the sys/param.h method, becuase it's what
> only BSDpersons decided on as a NONSTANDARD way to do this.

Precisely.

Greg