Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:22:13 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! (was: cvs commit: src/sys/sys reboot.h src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c)

Bruce Evans:
 |>Great!  Been looking forward to someday putting multiple FreeBSD versions
 |>on the same disk for a good while.
 |
 |That's always been possible, at least if you don't need multiple ufs file
 |systems.  E.g.:
 |
 |sd0a: FreeBSD-1.1.x
 |sd0b: swap
 |sd0c: reserved
 |sd0d: reserved for pre-2.0.5
 |sd0e: FreeBSD-2.0.x
 |sd0f: FreeBSD-2.1.x
 |sd0g: FreeBSD-2.2.x
 |sd0h: FreeBSD-current

Ok.  For my purposes, I guess I'd want separate UFSs (separate slices).
I'd like to have both -stable and -current-SNAP installed on one disk (with
stock sysinstall) such that, if one gets toasted (UFS corrupted; kernel
unstable, etc.), I could still boot the other without any boot block tricks
(i.e. just select a different slice in OS/BS, loading a different slice's
boot record, which would load the kernel from the FreeBSD root in that
slice).  When I asked about doing this before, the boot block assumption of
root on 1st UFS was one of the problems with this scheme.

This would make upgrades easier too -- just alternate sysinstalling between
the two FreeBSD root UFS slices.

Randall