Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 17:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4GB Drives

> >Actually I would like to turn off queued commands for the time being,
> >is there an easy way to do that (I have not been delving into the aic
> >code like I should be if I need to ask that one, but since I have your
> >attention any way :-).
>
> Just don't enable it.  Its a kernel config option (AHC_TAGENABLE).

I am not concerned about the drive queueing things up, that is past the
point I am trying to analyze right now.  More below (I already don't
have AHC_TAGENABLE) in my kernel.

> One thing to watch out for is that even without tagged queuing, you
> can get up to two requests per target sitting on the board.  You'll

Those are the 2 I need to eliminate for my analysis.  Any quick dirty
hack I can do to turn them off?

> have to blink something when the command that gets taken off the queue
> is for a target that has an active command pending since it will re-queue
> the transaction in that case.  This will happen when the first transaction
> to the disk disconnects to do the seek.

Test case has already eliminated all seeks.  Seeks do not occur as my total
transfer is smaller than 1 cylinder * stripe width.  I am trying to find
the proper parameters and emperical data to improve my theoritcal caclulations
and formulas.  I can't find the errors in these algorithms without some
correlation to real measured data to find the bad assumptions in them :-(.

The data I need is being very difficult to obtain without spending major
dollars on a scsi bus analyzer and a large logic analyzer :-(.  I guess
I could go out to the labs some weekend, but it is a pain to check in this
much equipment.

> >I need to fully evaluate very simple systems to understand how things
> >are going to behave, and complications like having the controller stacking
> >up queued I/O's on me is going to confuse me looking at timing with respect
> >to when the host releases the I/O in the driver (right now I have a bit
> >to watch on the scope when the stripe layer drops the I/O to the driver
> >layer and then watch the busy bit on the scsi bus, command queueing in
> >the controller is screwing me correlationg the two events :-().
>
> Understood.

So can you help me ``dumb down'' a bit of the smarts in the aha2940 driver,
ie, kill that last 2 deep queue?  It might explain a major descrepancy
between my algorithms and what I am currently seeing actually occur.