Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:17:41 -0400
From:      Chain Lee <chain@110.net>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: toshiba portege 3440

I am running FreeBSD 4.1 and 5.0-CURRENT my 3440ct.
4.1 runs quite well. Normally I have X window and VMWare
running Windows 98 under 4.1. I found it to be the most stable
platform for running windows applications, even better than
win2k. I have win2k and Linux 7.0 installed on the same machine
and they all freeze on me from time to time.

Here are some info on running FreeBSD 4.1

1) There is no X server support from the official XFree86 3.3.6
or 4.1 release. You have to get the S3 Savage server from
    http://www.probo.com/timr/savagemx.html
It still has some problems. But if you don't do DGA, switching
virtual terminals, or suspend the machine, it generally runs fine.

2) Sound card is not supported. It's an Intel AC97 Audio Controller
(vendor=0x8086, dev=0x7195). Toshiba says its a YAMAHA YMF752.

3) Modem is an AT&T LT Winmodem 56k (vendor=0x11c1, dev=0x0441)
No support for it.

4) Toshiba FIR Port Type-DO (vendor=0x1179, dev=0x0d01) is also
not recognized.

5) PCCARD support runs great. Various PCCARD ide disks, compact
flash memory, ethernet card all work well on 3440ct. You do have to
tweak /etc/pccard.conf file from time to time. No CardBus support yet.

6) USB support works quite well. Tried USB mouse and D-LINK
ethernet adapter.

7) Suspend/resume the machine works well, provided you don;t do it
w/ X window running, and therefore quite useless. I am not sure how
to do hibernation or if it does it at all. The 3440 BIOS seems to
support restoring from a raw hibernation partition (type 84). I found
this out accidentally by creating a partition with type set to 84. However
I dont know how to get it to hibernate under FreeBSD. Would appreciate
the information from anyone.

Regards,

-chain