Date:      Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:26:30 +0200
From:      Christer Hermansson <mail@chdevelopment.se>
To:        James Jeffery <cascadingstylez@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ Compiler On FreeBSD

James Jeffery wrote:
> Evening to you all (or morning in some parts of the world).
>
> Im learning C++ from Sams Teach Yourself C++, now many will call this
> a dumb method, and the books pointless and stupid, but i have no knowledge
> of any lower level languages, so i do need to be spoon fed the basics.
>
> Im using Borland C++ compiler on XP and was wondering what compilers
> there are for FreeBSD that would allow me to compile and execute some
> of the examples i will practise from the book.
>
> Also if anyone wants to recommend any other books on C++ feel free. We
> are learning VB at college at the moment, i like it, but its not machine
> portable
> and i dont like the whole drag and drop way of creating a program, seems
> like
> cheating.
>
> Thanks for reading
>
> James

The FreeBSD Developers' Handbook could be good to check out as well:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/tools-compiling.html

I think it's best to start with C and then move onto C++, however I use
C for low level things with only textbased user interfaces and Java for
things that require a GUI.

--

Christer Hermansson