Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:23:40 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
Cc:        Matthew <mpope@teksavvy.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND: could not configure root hints from 'named.root': file not found

On 1 October 2010 21:16, CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net> wrote:

> On 10/01/2010 12:52 PM, Matthew wrote:
> > I would be grateful for any pointers on how to resolve this.  I suspect
> > the error message may not be exactly descriptive of whats happening.
>
> Kinda.
>
> Here's a few points to keep in mind when working with bind in FreeBSD:
>
> * By default, named runs in a chroot jail rooted at /var/named/.
>
> * For security reasons, named cannot write to anything in that tree,
> except the dynamic, slave, and working directories.
>
> * named uses its current working directory to resolve relative pathnames
> in the configuration file.
>
> * With a recent change to ISC Bind 9, named started complaining if it
> couldn't write to its current working directory. At the time, this was
> (chroot)/etc/namedb/; this was subsequently changed to
> (chroot)/etc/namedb/working/ to make named happy without compromising
> security.
>
> When the working directory for named was (chroot)/etc/namedb/,
> everything was peachy. Since this was changed, relative pathnames no
> longer work as expected because the reference point is different. The
> easiest solution is to alter your configuration file to include only
> absolute pathnames, relative to the root of the jail.
>
> The default named config file (in /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf) is
> an excellent source of examples for this.
>
> --
> Fuzzy love,
> -CyberLeo
> Technical Administrator
> CyberLeo.Net Webhosting
> http://www.CyberLeo.Net
> <CyberLeo@CyberLeo.Net>
>
> Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/

Hmm,

options {
   directory    ".";

that doesnt look ideal. Not sure if you are meaning to do that but put an
explicit direcorty in eg /etc/namedb. Otherwise it will be looking in
whatever current directory you are in at that time. The main named.conf will
be found as its supplied via a cli switch by the rc script. However all
subsequent files will come from the current dir