Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:18:48 +0100
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@gneto.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: My make buildworld FreeBSD 6.0R amd64 test

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> For the starters, you're compiling two different sets of files,
> one for i386 and another for amd64.  You'd better compare the
> same set.

Que?
I'm compiling the same thing, a full buildworld of FreeBSD 6.0/amd64.
I'm even using the same disk/installation for all tests. (except the
opteron). There is no i386 code here execpt the compatibility libraries.

 > This can be done (approximately) by doing a cross-build
 > for say i386: "make -jN buildworld TARGET_ARCH=i386".

The we're using a 32-bit compiler in some tests and a 64-bit one in
other tests what will that show?

 > Also, given the amount of memory that you have in these machines,
 > it shouldn't be a problem to put /usr/src and /usr/obj onto a
 > memory disk.

I'll make a run with a mfs so I can see how much that will improve things.

Please take another look at the page.

/Martin