Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:28:42 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disable -Wtautological-compare for clang

Am 17.10.2011 17:25, schrieb Alexander Best:

> any chance we could disable -Wtautological-compare for clang? i don't think
> comparing an unsigned int against < 0 is worth a warning. actually it's always
> nice to have such a seatbelt, in case somebody changes the type to int and
> forgets to introduce such a check.

If your code must be unclean in such a way that it uses deliberately
dead code "just in case someone breaks the semantics", can you not use
-Wno-tautological-compare in that situation?

Unless someone goes to paranoia mode and sprays unneeded checks like you
suggest all over the code like an ugly graffity, all such warnings are
worth investigating.  In code I've hand my eyes and/or hands on, the
better part of these warnings were pointing to true bugs.

So, objection.