Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:24:59 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-BETA5: Sees only first ATA RAID volume

On 09/10/2005, at 22:01, Thomas Quinot wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> Doing some experiments on a Dell Precision 380 with ICH7 (Intel
> MatrixRAID) SATA RAID controller. There are three 160 Gb SATA disks
> in the machine.
>
> In the BIOS, I configured two RAID volumes:
>   * one mirror (RAID1) with a capacity of 110 Gb, involving the
>     first two disks (leaving 50 Gb of free space on each disk);
>   * one striped (RAID0) using the remainder of the space of each
>     of the first two disks.
>
> (the 3rd disk is completely outside of the RAID system).
>
> When booting up, I see the three physical disks as ad4, ad6, and ad8,
> buth only the first RAID volume as ar0 (with a disk size that looks =20=

> like
> the expected 110 Gb) - I do not see any ar1 striped volume.
>
> Is this a bug? A known limitation? Anything specific I need to set up?

 =46rom ata-raid.c::ata_raid_intel_read_meta()

         /*
          * update our knowledge about the array config based on =20
generation
          * we only grap the first volume description (yet) since the
          * BIOS'n I have access to puts crap into the following ones
          */

There's your explanation :)
When/If I get my hands on HW that supports this I'll add the support =20
to the ataraid driver..
BTW it knows how to deal with multiple RAID's on the same disks, but =20
no BIOS's I've had access to so far has allowed this yet...

S=F8ren Schmidt
sos@FreeBSD.org