Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 16:15:28 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@deathstar.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question with packet accounting.

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a gateway machine with 3 ether cards, one ether for the internet
> server network, one for the office network and one for the routers.
>
> I've compiled ip firewalling, and enabled ip forwarding/gatewaying via
> sysctl.
>
> I have setup a default "pass all" rule, then have the following :
>
> ipfw add xx pass tcp from any portnum to any
>
> And then I do an ipfw -a list to grab the packet accounting info.
>
> Now, the info returned is only for packets passing THROUGH the box, (ie
> between interfaces), not internal-network (ie between two machines on the
> same network)?

Yeah. ipfw accounting just counts the IP packets on *this* machine. If
you want to see all that's passing on a net, you need to use bpf.

> Also, does it only log the packet passing THOUGH the box, and not going in
> one interface and out the other?

I don't understand this question. The rule will count whatever it is
told to. For example, you may specify a specific interface to do
accounting/filtering for with the "via" keyword, or only packets going
in a specific direction with the in/out keywords. ipfw merely follows
the rules you give it...

> Please CC the reply to me as I'm currently stuck at work and my normal
> list email feed goes to my box which isn't online atm.
>
> Thankyou,
>
> Adrian Chadd
> <adrian@psinet.net.au>
Nadav