Date:      05 Jan 2003 18:56:04 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Magnus Johansson <lmj@mail.usa.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network cards for a firewall server?

Hi,
  Is "options PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES" compiled into the kernel? Check LINT
for more information

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 18:37, Magnus Johansson wrote:
> Hello
>

> Currently the FA310-cards are installed.
>
> The mobo is the last versio of Abit BE6-II, (with a PIII 850MHz).
>
> It starts with the message:
> "dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state", then the "dc0: watchdog timeout" messages starts showing up.
>
> PnP is disabled in BIOS.
>
> >From dmesg I have:
> dc0: <82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> port 0xc400 - 0xc4ff mem 0xd3402000 - 0xd34020ff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0
> dc0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:d5:b2:e3
> dc1: <82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> port 0xc800 - 0xc8ff mem 0xd3403000 - 0xd34030ff irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0
> dc1: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:d5:dd:c8

FreeBSD sees the nics okay enough.., What do you have in /etc/rc.conf
for each nic? Post each nic's respective line entry please.

Also, exactly *when* do these messages appear? Do the nics start okay,
then lock-up?

Check for IRQ conflicts, and, as this appears to happen with two sets of
nics, you can't rule out physical network problems - check cabling, etc.

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts