Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:19:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andre LeClaire <leclaire@venus.net>
To:        "Jay M. Richmond" <jayrich@room101.sysc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anyone else ? atapi headaches?

> > > is anyone else besides those I've talked to having problems with their
> > > atapi cd-rom (input/output errors when mounting)...? or are there people
> > > with cd-rom's that are working fine out there...
> > >
> > > i'm talking about a recently cvsup'ed 2.2-stable kernel...
> >
> > Well, I just tried mount /cdrom (actually hadn't tried it in a while), and
> > got "cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Device not configured"! So I looked at dmesg,
> > and noticed "wdc1 not found at 0x170". This after cvsup this morning and
> > make world today.
>
> I also try to compile mount_cd9660 and get errors about ssector...

Upon further investigation, my problem was self-inflicted. I had swapped
some memory with another computer I was working on, and must have bumped
the ribbon cable from the cdrom drive to the motherboard. So, I am glad
to report my ATAPI cdrom is working fine now. It's a Mitsumi FX410A quad
speed drive, and I've been using it with FreeBSD since 2.1.5. It's set up
as the master drive on the second ide controller.
I have seen some messages from people who had trouble getting FreeBSD to
work with certain ATAPI drives, though. What model do you have?

Andre