Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:56:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New experimental SIM for SYM53C8XX chips.

Hello,

If you use a SYM53C896 PCI-SCSI controller under FreeBSD-current or=20
under some recent FreeBSD version, you may be interested in the following=
=20
stuff:

ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/drivers/freebsd/experimental/SYM-0.0.0-990915=
=2Etar.gz

This code is EXPERIMENTAL, and some work is probably still needed to make
it really reliable, but it performs well for me and I decided to make it
available.

The history of this driver (named sym_hipd) is the following:

ncr -> 1995 Linux ncr53c8xx -> 1998 Linux sym53c8xx -> 1999 sym_hipd=20

This driver uses LOAD/STORE SCSI scripts instructions and so it does not
support old 810, 815, (820?) and 825 chips. All other 8XX chips, including
the 810A and 825A, are supported.=20

The purpose of this driver is to take advantage of features of recent
chips. For this reason, it may drop support for some early chip at any
time, if maintaining such a support may add too much complexity to the
code. So, a generic driver (the ncr) is needed for the entire 53C8XX
family to be supported under FreeBSD.

FYI, under Linux:
- ncr53c8xx driver supports everything from 810 rev. 1 up to latest 896.
- sym53c8xx driver supports only chips that implement LOAD/STORE.

G=E9rard.