Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:20:18 -0500
From:      Kris Yates <kris@2binteractive.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/login.conf password formatting

Please send replies directly to me as I do not have time to check the
list as often as I would like..

Currently, it appears that some passwords on my system are DES, most are
MD5.  I found the following below recently, a suggestion to switch to
blowfish.  I am down with that!  If I change the following (as shown
below) in /etc/login.conf, will the system still decrypt the old DES and
MD5 entries, ie. nothing will break in this regard?

    :passwd_format=blf:\

    # change the password encryption to Blowfish instead of the default md5

Thanks,

Kris